BIG-IP ASM provides application security and protects your applications from network attacks including the OWASP Top 10 most critical web application security risks. The ASM has various built-in attack signatures, also allows user-defined signatures, used to block or allow network traffic.
If you can't immediately fix all vulnerabilities that Netsparker has detected, you can cover them up and defer fixing them until another time. You do this by exporting Netsparker's findings as rules for the BIG-IP Application Security Manager (ASM).
It is possible to either export the information about a single vulnerability as an ASM rule or export information about all the vulnerabilities identified during the scan.
After the rules are imported, the BIG-IP ASM will then block any requests made by malicious hackers.
F5 BIG-IP ASM WAF Rules Netsparker Scanner Export
WAF rules are generated according to ‘Generic Schema’. The result rules are xml formatted.
Types of Vulnerabilities Netsparker Scanners Export as F5 BIG-IP ASM Rules
Not all vulnerabilities can be covered up by blocking access to a specific URL with a web application firewall, therefore not all vulnerabilities can be exported as ModSecurity rules. For example, security flaws related to HTTP Cookies, sensitive comments in source code, application source code disclosure and other similar vulnerabilities will not be exported.
How to Configure F5 BIG-IP ASM WAF Rules in Netsparker Standard
- Open Netsparker Standard.
- From the Home tab on the ribbon, click Options. The Options dialog is displayed.
- Click Web Application Firewall.
- From the Add dropdown, select F5 BIG-IP ASM.
- Click OK button. Then the F5 BIG-IP ASM WAF Rules button is shown in the Vulnerability tab.
How to Export F5 BIG-IP ASM WAF Rules from Netsparker Standard
- Once the scan has finished, navigate to the Issues pane and select a single vulnerability (in this example, Cross-site Scripting).
- From the Reporting tab, click BIG-IP ASM WAF Rules.
The Save Report As dialog is displayed.
- In the Filename field, enter a name, and click Save. The Export Report dialog is displayed with the Path (generated from the location and filename from the previous step) already displayed.
- From the Policy dropdown, select an option.
- The Open Generated Report checkbox is already selected (which opens the report on completion). Deselect this option if required.
- Click Save. The BIG-IP ASM WAF Rules Report is opened in your default text editor.